About The Healthy Minds Cooperative
The Healthy Minds Cooperative is a member owned and democratically controlled not-for-profit enterprise. Its shareholders are people who possess lived experience with mental illness, and/or an interest in the topic of mental health.
What is the Healthy Minds Co-op about?
The Co-op is about people who have mental illness/mental health issues helping themselves.
It is made up of people who are committed to improving mental health in their communities. Many of its members have experience with mental illness or mental health issues, and know there is a need for change in the system and society. HMCo-op provides public education to reduce the stigma of mental illness offers peer support and facilitates connections to community services.
The Co-op has identified five areas of priorities, they are:
- Better access to mental health services.
- Public education regarding mental illness.
- More participation of those with lived experience in the design, development, delivery and evaluation of mental health services.
- Providing peer-support and advocacy for consumers and their families.
- Developing better connections to existing community services.